Creatures Community Chat

Monday, March 23, 2015

New look, advertising and statistics

Hey guys. You may have noticed over the last week or so the website has been given a fresh new look. It's been a while since I last posted and I thought the old look was...well looking a bit stale. Hopefully you're enjoying the new look and finding navigation a bit easier.

In the process of this visual change around, I've also throw up a couple of Google Ads. If you've got an addblocker set up odds are you may not have even noticed yet. I had some confusion setting them up in the first place until I realised my own addblocker was preventing me from seeing them, lol!

Anyway, I wanted to say that these ads are auto-generated and as such I have limited control over what ads appear on the site and which are restricted. Fortunately there are some settings you can tweak which should prevent some of the more annoying adds cropping up (I highly doubt any of your are interested in meeting sexy singles, and even if you are, I doubt your on The Arch to do so).
That said, I'm still learning this new system and there's likely some things I may have missed.

The Creatures Community has always prided itself on being a family friendly environment and it's a tradition I want to continue. So, if you see any ads appearing that you think "wow, that probably shouldn't be there", please let me know. I'm pretty sure I've removed the 'sexy singles' and gambling nonsense, but just in case anything gets through...yeah, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I should also mention the reason I've set up these ads. After being absent for so long, I came back and checked my website statistics and was blown away, because apparently I've been averaging about 600 visitors per month, even during my year long absence!

Over the 5 years or so The Creature Arch has been in existence, that comes out at nearly 29,000 views. That's more than my business website gets. So a big thank you to everyone who's supported this blog so far.

I'm hoping that if I can generate a small amount of income from this blog I can justify spending a few extra hours a month writing more blog posts. Which for you guys would translate into a series of blog posts delving deep into Creatures genetics or a series on teaching CAOS. Or both! So as much as I feel like a bit of a sell out by going the advertising path, hopefully it will allow me to be far more active than I've been the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment